MediaWiki toolbar missing after DSM update
Meh. Synology updated quite a few built-in components when updating the DSM (basically the „operating system“ of the Synology NAS boxes) from DSM 5.0 to DSM 5.1. Look at my previous articles to see what stuff broke, and how I fixed it, or at least how I found a suitable workaround for broken functionality. Let me make it clear that I’m not blaming Synology for the issues I’ve been facing; but having to fix stuff in the aftermath is a nuisance, anyway.
Okay, so here’s the most recent issue I found, and how I fixed it. When editing a page in the MediaWiki on one of my NAS boxes („zeus“), I found the toolbar was missing. Not a deal-breaker, but an inconvenience.
Googling for that error message, I found a short article pointing out that the „mw.loader.version“ function had been removed in a recent MediaWiki update. Thanks very much for that! 🙂 Fortunately, the article also had a link to the respective bug, and to the fix, which is here:
Here’s how I applied the fix:
- Get on the command line, as root.
- In the directory where the MediaWiki is installed (/volume1/web/MediaWiki by default), either grep for „mw.loader.version“, or simply believe me that the file you need to edit is under extensions/WikiEditor/modules. So change directory there.
- Make a copy of the file (
cp jquery.wikiEditor.js jquery.wikiEditor.js.ORIG).
jquery.wikiEditor.js— I’m using
- Locate the line that contains the wrong function (in vi, press
mw.loader.version, then press Return).
- Save the file, and quit the editor (in vi, this is
root@zeus:/volume1/web/MediaWiki/extensions/WikiEditor/modules> ls -l jquery.wikiEditor.js* -rw-r--r-- 1 http http 21440 Nov 19 09:04 jquery.wikiEditor.js -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21437 Nov 19 08:40 jquery.wikiEditor.js.ORIG